Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Waiting Game

I have now been in Edmonton for over one week, and as you can tell, Baby Irvine has still not made her appearance. I’m now over 38 weeks pregnant, and getting extremely antsy. I came up a week earlier then I wanted to in fear that she would arrive earlier, but at the moment, baby girl seems content exactly where she is. Part of me is glad she is still growing and developing inside me, because honestly, my body is the best thing for her. It is circulating her blood, and giving it the nutrition it needs, because from the moment she is born, she will have to fight to be here. The other part of me just wants her to be here already (it’s totally a catch 22). It’s been a very long pregnancy in my mind, and an emotional roller-coaster at that. This past week in particular has been a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I’m up here in Edmonton essentially on my own, away from my husband, family and friends – not a way to be spending the last few days/weeks being pregnant. Nick is staying in Calgary for as long as possible to work as much as he can before our daughter is born, so he can be here longer when she comes. I know it’s the right decision, but at this very moment, it’s not one that I like. When I pictured how things would go when I got pregnant, I definitely did not have this in mind.

It was also Easter Weekend, a time you’re supposed to spend time with family, but obviously life had different plans. My cousin got married down in Cardston on Saturday, and up until about a month ago, I fully intended on attending. However, with the high chance of an early delivery, it just became too risky for the baby for me to be all the way down in Cardston (a good 5 hour drive), and be that far from Edmonton (my sweet grandma told me that she would be very angry if I came to the wedding lol). Thankfully my parents text me a couple pictures throughout the day to help me feel included and a part of the day.

So what have I been up too? Well I came up Monday morning (April 14th), and headed straight to meet my new OB – Dr. Wong. I definitely like him a lot more than my Calgary OB, and he was happy with how everything was progressing. I was measuring at 41 weeks thanks to her size and extra amniotic fluid levels. He also checked and said I was 1cm dilated, but baby was still very high. Later I meet up with my friend Bev, who I’ve now been calling my “Edmonton Husband”. She has been staying with me at the Ronald McDonald house at night just in case I go into labour.

I officially moved into the Ronald McDonald on Tuesday, and had my first dinner there. Here at the Ronald McDonald, they have this program called “Home for Dinner” in which volunteer groups come in almost every night, and cook dinner for the families staying here. Let’s just say that I have been eating VERY well, and there is always food to eat.

On Wednesday (April 16) I went for a Fetal Non Stress Test just to see and check on baby. Basically baby’s heart rate was excellent (when she wasn’t moving and making lots of noises), and no signs of contractions.

Bev had the day off on Good Friday, so we went to the theater and saw a movie (Divergent). After we did a little shopping to stock up on a few supplies and purchase a fan for my hospital bag (a “must have” according to my sister). On Sunday I went to church with a cousin of mine and have since been spending my days trying to keep busy and taking lots of naps.

Overall it’s been a pretty boring week. I’ve had a few depressive moments as I really miss my husband, and can’t wait for the moment to see him again. Hopefully my next blog update will be a birth announcement, but at this point - who knows. Oi


  1. i hope everything goes well for you.
    well wishes all the way from california!

  2. Hi, my name is Mel, I stumbled across your blog. I want to say I am wishing you well. Our baby was born with her esophagus ending in a pouch and her stomach attached to her trachea (medical term tracheal fistula eith esophageal atresia). She is also missing a kidney. She was born Jan 01 and we had no idea she had this, the only symptom I had was excessive amniotic fluid. Dr Wong delivered my baby, he is amazing. She was taken to the Stollery the very same day she was born and had surgery the next day. The reason I'm sharing with you is because I want you to know that Dr Wong, the Stollery and the Ronald McDonald house are all amazing and I believe you are in the very best hands. Our daughter will face challenges for the next few years, but she would not be doing so well if it wasn't for our amazing health care system. I am grateful for them every day. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.