|Headband from Headbands & Lace|
They decided to do a fluoroscopy of Evanna's diaphragm this morning to see how it was working, as they want to her to have the best chance possible of extubating. While the results showed that it wasn't moving against Evanna, it wasn't in the best shape either. However, the purpose of this post was to tell you what they discovered. Dr. Aditia wanted to double check her mechanical valve as Evanna had an ECHO this morning, and he couldn't see the one leaflet very well. Our fears confirmed when Dr. Aditia came out and told me that while her right leaflet was moving very well, her darn left leaflet wasn't working like it was suppose to. Once they got Evanna settled back into the PCICU, Dr. Aditia went and talked with Dr. Rebeyka and they decided to try another round of TPA. They also agreed that once the mechanical valve issue is resolved, that if Evanna didn't extubate easily, that maybe we should just proceed with a tracheostomy.
It's been an incredibly tough day, and a date of discharge just keeps getting further and further away. I'm at a loss for words to explain how I feel, but I guess the best word I can think of is defeated. I haven't held Evanna in a little while, and now that we're starting her on TPA again, I definitely won't be able to hold her for at least a few days.
I'll update everyone tomorrow on whether the TPA works. While Evanna is on TPA, she receives platelets every 6 hours and and ECHO every 12 hours, so hopefully we'll see results by tomorrow, as TPA is such a risky drug and I don't like her being on it for any longer then need be.
I know everyone is going ask what they can do for us, but honestly, just some prayers and some hope for our baby girl. A shopping trip at West Edmonton Mall may be in order for me in the next 24 hours (sorry Nick), and maybe a trip to the movie theatre (to bad Cinderella isn't out until NEXT week) to help get my mind off things.
» The Irvine Family
PS. In case anyone was wondering, we were able to move back into the Ronald McDonald House yesterday, and we're actually back in our old room again too.
My heart aches for you [with news of the TPA]. Please, please, please don't ever give up HOPE. As hard as it is, to sustain our FAITH during such storms, it's essential that we do so that we're able to weather the storm with God at the helm. There is no one any greater than God, who can lead your very capable doctors, and to carry Evanna through…every procedure, every day, every night and with every breathe. Prayers for all of you….ALWAYS. Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.ReplyDelete
As a NICU nurse I have always said I can't imagine how parents survive differing opinions, change of staff, set backs and the unknown as it is hard enough as staff. Your journey has been exceptionally prolonged and although I don't know you my heart hurts for you all.ReplyDelete